Note    H1952         Index
SPARKS QUARTERLY, December 1974, No. 84, p. 1702:
"George Sparks was probably born about 1705. He married Sarah
Salisbury on December 3, 1730, and they had at least three children.
SPARKS QUARTERLY, June 1988, No. 144, p. 3230:
"George Sparks, son of John Sparks. Born ca. 1705. Married Sarah Salisbury on December 3, 1730. Names of children: Ann, Richard, Sarah, others?"
See MARYLAND MARRIAGES 1634-1777, Compiled by Robert Barnes, Baltimore, 1987, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. p. 168:
"Sparkes, George, 3 Dec. 1730, Sarah Salisbury" citing 1 QA-37. T he citation refers to the records of St. Luke's Parish, p. 37, Queen Annes County, MD."
It is also interesting to note that in the same record book, 1 QA-3 7 a George Sparks married Elizabeth Rickets on 14 September, 1729.


Note    H1953         Index

See THE SPARKS QUARTERLY, December 1992, Whole No. 160, p. 4035:


[Editor's Note: As was noted in the preceding article, the William Sparks who died in Queen Annes County, Maryland, in 1709, was the ancestor of thousands of Sparks descendants living today in all parts of the United States. Each of his four sons had large families; we know that there were at least thirty-five grandchildren who reached adulthood. (See pages 3229-31 of the June 1988 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 142, for a tentative list of these grandchildren. )

[Articles about William Sparks and three of his sons have already been published in the QUARTERLY. Besides the preceding article, an account of the life of William Sparks appeared on pages 1381-89 of the March 1971 issue, Whole No. 73. In that same issue, pages 1376-81, we presented information about John Sparks, brother of William, who died in Queen Annes County, Maryland, in 1700, along with documentary proof that two sons of John were living in Hampshire County, England, in 1717. We are certain that it had been from there that William and John had come to Maryland many years earlier. Information regarding William Sparks, Jr., the eldest son of William Sparks (died 1709), appeared in the QUARTERLY of December 1989 (Whole No. 148) as part of the article on William Sample Sparks, son of William, Jr., pp. 3484-3500. John Sparks, the probable second son of William Sparks (died 1709) was the subject of an article on pages 1699-1704 of the December 1974 issue, Whole No. 88, and an account of Joseph Sparks, who was William's youngest son, appeared on pages 3554-61 of the March 1990 issue, Whole No. 149.]

[Paul E. Sparks now presents the information that we have found regarding George Sparks, whom we believe to have been the third son of William Sparks (died 1709) of Queen Annes County, Maryland.]

"The earliest record that we have found of George Sparks, son of William and Mary (----- ) Sparks of early Queen Annes County, Maryland, is in a deed made in Kent County, Maryland, on March 25, 1707, by which William Sparks gave to his son George, a 150-acre tract of land called "Sparks Choice." The consideration was "in Respect of the Love I bear unto my Son, George Sparkes." William had acquired this land in 1681, and he may have given it to his son as a wedding present. (See also page 1386 of the March 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 73, for more details regarding this deed.)

"George Sparks had been born about 1678 in Talbot County, Maryland. (Queen Annes County was then part of Talbot and was not cut off as a separate county until 1706.) George Sparks was married to Mary ----- in or about 1700 in what is now Queen Annes County. It seems quite likely that George and his wife were living on the same "plantation" as his parents when his father made his will in June 1709. In his will, William Sparks specified that after his death "my Son George and his wife and Children Shall have Liberty to live three years with his mother on my now Dwelling plantation in my now Dwelling house to make a crop of Corne and Tobo he laying in five barrens of Indian corne every year dureing the said time and to take due care of his mothers Stock and for so doing to have his and wife and Children's accomoda- tions and to pay no rent during the Sd Time. "

"Apparently, George and his brother, William Sparks, Jr., had shown some degree of impatience to have control of their father's land, and their father may have been aware of their feelings, for, after making a clause in his will by which he left all of his land to his wife, he requested her "not to protest her Son, William Sparks, but then he Shall have the Same Liberty as he has now what is ordered before for George Sparks Excepting that neither the said Wm. nor George do molest or disturb their mother dureing her widowhood."

"We have no way of knowing how long George Sparks and his family lived with his mother after the death of his father, although, with Mary's second marriage to Thomas Trickey sometime before October 24, 1711, she probably moved from the Sparks "plantation" to that of her new husband. It was not until February 25, 1719/20, that another record reveals a legal act by George Sparks. On that date he sold the 105-acre tract which had been given to him by his father in 1707. He sold this land, called "Sparks Choice," to Augustine Thompson, a wealthy planter in Queen Annes County, for the consideration of seven pounds, three shillings, plus 3,000 pounds "of good, sound, merchantable tobacco." Mary Sparks, wife of George, agreed to the sale, having been "first privately examined according to law" as to her feelings about the sale.

"It is interesting to note that a month later, Joseph Sparks, brother of George, sold his portion of "Sparks Choice" to Augustine Thompson, also, The consideration was 3,000 pounds of merchantable tobacco for the 100-acre tract of land. In both sales, the deeds were witnessed by John Whittington and James Earle.

"On October 3, 1728, George Sparks was one of a group of citizens from Queen Annes County who signed a petition to the Assembly of the Province of Maryland requesting the formation of a new parish from a portion of St. Pauls Parish. The reason for this request was that many parishioners of St. Pauls had to travel a great distance to attend church. As a result of the petition, St. Lukes Parish was established in 1728. The church was built in the village of Church Hill.

"The following year, George and Mary Sparks were involved in another land sale when George's brother, William Sparks, sold a tract of land which he had inherited from their father. The land was the 114-acre tract called "Sparks Outlet" which William Sparks, Senior had acquired in 1687. This tract was sold by William Sparks, Junior on March 3, 1729/30 to Thomas Honey for 6,000 pounds of tobacco. George and Mary Sparks were witnesses to the fact that George's brother, William Sparks, received the tobacco, although the tobacco, itself, was probably not delivered to him by Thomas Honey, but rather a document transferring ownership to it.

"We have found no further records of either George or Mary Sparks, including any which concern the administration of their estates. It seems apparent that they both died intestate. It is obvious that they had children before 1709 when George's father made his will. By a process of elimination, we have set the size of their family as seven children, and we have also made "educated guesses" regarding their names and identity. We must remind our readers, however, that while these designations are conjectural, nevertheless, the probable children of George and Mary Sparks were the following:

1. George Sparks, Jr., born ca.1702
2. Joseph Sparks, born ca.1704
3. Jonas Sparks, born ca.1706
4. James Sparks, born ca. 1710
5. William Sparks, born ca. 1715
6. Ursula Sparks, born ca.1720
7. Sarah Sparks, born ca.1722


[Continuing on p.4029:]

"The first of these documents, after the will, is dated October 8, 1709, and is a bond in the amount of "four hundred pounds Sterling currant Money of England" with John Hawkins, Jr. and John Nabb, both of Queen Annes County, as guarantors, that "Mary Sparks and William Sparks [Jr.], Executors of the last Will and Testament of William Sparks, Sen., late of Queen Ann's County, deceas'd, do make or cause to be made a true & perfect Inventory of all & singular the goods Chaitells and credits of the said deceased, appraised in Money ... " Mary Sparks and her son, William, Jr., were given until "the 24th day of JanrY next ensuing" to complete the inventory, and they were given one year to pay the debts charged against the estate as well as to carry out each provision contained in William Sparks's will. Both Mary Sparks and her son, William, Jr., signed this bond by mark, Mary drawing the initial I'M" and William the initial "W." (See below a photographic reproduction of this part of the bond.) The two sureties for the bond, John Hawkins, Jr. and John Nabb, signed their names. There were three witnesses as well: Thomas Trickey, Robert Thomas, and Johanna Nabb. Thomas Trickey and Johanna Nabb signed by mark. Johanna was probably the wife of John Nabb. Robert Thomas was a county official whose title was "Deputy Commissary." Thomas Trickey was a neighbor of the Sparkses; he had also been a witness to William Sparks's mark (signature) when Sparks had made his will in the previous June. The person who wrote Thomas Trickey's name for him spelled it Tricky, but in most records it appears as Trickey.

"It was on January 25, 1710, that an inventory was taken of the personal property that had belonged to William Sparks. The inventory was made by John Hawkins, Jr. and John Hackett, both of whom were neighbors of the Sparkses.

"Readers are reminded that the old Julian Calendar was still in use in England and her colonies at the time William Sparks's estate was settled, and it would continue to be used until1752. the Gregorian Calendar, however, was then in use in most EuropeanCountries. The new year began, according to the Julian Calendar, on March 25, hence the period from January 1 to March 25, 1710, under the Gregorian Calendar, was still 1709 under the old Julian Calendar. Because of the commercial intercourse between England and Europe , many legal documents in both England and America written between Janu- ary 1st and March 25th prior to 1752 (when England finally adopted the Gregorian Calendar) were "double dated," i.e., a slash or line would follow the Julian Calendar year, then the year according to the Gregorian Calendar would be added. Thus, the inventory for the estate of William Sparks bears the date "25th day of Janeroy 1709/10."

"This inventory of the personal property owned by William Sparks at the time of his death in 1709 provides an interesting view of the life style of a prosperous Maryland farmer at the beginning of the 18th century. Dr. Sparks has transcribed the list of his possessions a s recorded in the inventory; where he was uncertain of the word intended, he added a question mark enclosed in brackets. The standard abbrevi- ations were used in the inventory for pounds(), shillings (s), and pence (d). (The "d" for pence came from the Latin word for penny , "denarius.")

A Trew and perficke Inventory of all and Singley the goods and Chattels
Wrights and credits of Wm. Sparks of queen Annes County Law enfoefd and
Aprisd in Money by we hose hands are under written this 20th day of
Janeroy 1709/10.
s d
To: Waring apparell.................................... 2:02: 0
To: a pare of Leather Briches..................... 0:07: 0
To: a parcel of old Books......................... 0:94: 0
To: 11 yrds of ofan brigs [?]..................... 0:05: 6
To: an old Raser.................................. 0:00: 6
To: 7 rds of flannel.............................. 0:14: 8
To: 1 feather Bed and Linin in the new house 4:10: 0
To: 1 feather Bed and furniture in the old house.. 2:10: 0
To: 1 Chist of Drawers............................ 1:00: 0
To: 2 Tables and firens [?]....................... 1:00: 0
To: 1 horse cauld Scott........................... 4:00: 0
To: 1 horse cald [blank].......................... 3:10: 0
To: do cauld Chance.......................... 4:00: 0
To: do cauled Hailor......................... 3:10: 0
To: 6 sickels and hooks........................... 0:07: 0
To: a Small Tub of feathers....................... 0:07: 0
To: a parcell of unbroke flack.................... 0:10: 0
To: 3 old cases of botels......................... 0:10: 0
To: 8 quart botels................................ 0:19:19
To: 2 old ladle................................... 0:02: 0
To: 2 old Lotts of windger etc. [?] 0:05:0
To: 1 old Crescent Saw & file 0:08:0
To: 1 hansaw 0:01:0
To: 1 pare of Stilards & balance 0:04:0
To: 1 chafing dish & Lockett 0:02:0
To: 4 old bands 0:02:0
To: 1 old adz and handel 0: 02:0
To: 1 old augur and hamer 0:01:6
To: 1 old drawing Knife 0:01:6
To: 4 Spike gimbletts 0:00:6
To: 3 Fanting acks 0:01:6
To: 2 old broad acks & cut knife 0:03:0
To: 1 old frow and millpaks 0:01:0
To: a parsell of old iron 0:02:0
To: a set of weeding plow irons 0:04:6
To: 2 old plow shar and colter 0:10:0
To: 1 old hand mill 0:10:0
To: a cask & whole with rings 1:00:0
To: 1 old cart collar & saddle 0:08:0
To: 2 collar and tanse 0:08:0
To: 1 old saddall 0:08:0
To: 1 old Gun 0:05:0
To: 2 putor Chamber potts 0:02:0
To: 15 spoons 0:02:6
To: I putor bason 0:01:0
To: 1 putor Tankard & Tumbler 0:00:1
To: 1 old poringer and Sawsar 0:00:6
To: 5 putor dishes 0:15:0
To: 9 putor plates 0:04:6
To: 1 mustard pott Tin 0:00:6
To: 1 brass drinking glass 0:01:0
To: 1 brass Skillit 0:03:6
To: 1 brass candell stick 0:00:6
To: 1 Boamshall spieomortor [?] 0:03:0
To: 1 Iron candell stick 0:00:6
To: 1 small Smoothing iron 0:04:6
To: 1 seimer 0:00:2
To: 3 Iron Potts 0:15:0
To: 1 Fring Pan 0:01:6
To: 1 Pare of Fier Tongs 0:01:6
To: 1 Pare of Flesh Fork and Ladell 0:00:6
To: 2 Leather Charer [?] 0:03:0
To: 1 Larg Wooden Chaircold 0:05:0
To: 1 wooling Spinning Whell 0:07:0
To: 1 old couch 0:04:0
To: 4 old Chists 0:16:0
To: 1 old Trunk 0:04:0
To: 1 old Cubord 0:10:0
To: 1 Small Looking Glass 0:01:6
To: 2 warming pan 0:04:0
To: a harrow with Iron Teeth 0:07:0
To: 2 Sifters and one straner 0:01:6
To: 2 Sifting Trays 0:03:0
To: 2 pales 1 pign 1"ff cups and 1 chien [?] 0:05:0
To: 9: old bales 0:04:6
To: 2 Erthen Pans a Stue potte and 8 erthen
butter pans 0:03:0
To: 2 new mault bags 1 old do 0:04:0
To: 1 bushall of Salt 0:03:0
To: 7 old Tubs & 2 Ston gars 0:08:0
To: 8 Fifty Gallon Casques old 0:12:0
To: Thirty Gallon Casque old 0:04:0
To: 3 forty Gall Casque 0:07:0
To: 2 pipes old 2 [--?--I 8:08:0
To: 3 runlitts 0:01:6
To: 2 old Whell barrows 0:03:0
To: 1 old lard bag [?] 0:00:8
To: 1 small Iron gug 0:00:8
To: 2 cannews 0:15:0
To: 1 Chospes 0:07:0
To: 6 Cows and Calves 2 heifers and Calves 14:00:0
To: 4 four year old steers 7:00:0
To: 1 four year old bull 1:05:0
To: 2 Three year old heifers 1:05:0
To: 1 five year old steer 2:00:0
To: 3 barein Cows 4:10:0
To: 4 Two year old steers and 2 Two year old
heifers 4:10:0
To: 3 yearlings 2:00:0
To: 1 calf 0:03:0
To: 27 sheep 8:02:0
To: 7 Two year old barrows 3:10:0
To: 6 Sows and 9 Shoats 4:10:0
To: 1 young barrow 0:08:0
To: 1 grater 0:00:5
To: 1 pr of Spaniel & common chains 0:06:0
To: 1 pare of Woosteed Comes [?] 0:07:0
To: 37 bushals of wheat 6:09:3
To: 12 bushels of oatts 1:04:0
To: 8 barils Ingin Corn 4:00:0
To: 750 pd of Tobacco at Id pr 3:02:6
To: 1 Tobacco cask 0:00:6
To: Thomas Honey pr ares 500 [?] 2:01:5
To: atto by the County fore Cathrin Jnoson [?] 6:05:0

Sume Totall 126 06s 08d

[signed] John Hawkins Jr
[signed] John Hackett

"The final item on this inventory is as follows: "Inventory of William Sparks Estate 1709. Recorded in W. B. No. 4. Recorded Libe r C. Folio 220."

"The following document is also part of the probate file for William Sparks (died 1709) and has been transcribed by Dr. Paul E. Sparks as follows:

Qn Annes Co. ss.
The Account of Thomas Trickey & Mary his wife, and William Sparks exrs of the last Will and Testament of William Sparks Late of said County Decd as well of and for Such and so much of the Goods, Chattels & Credits of the Said Deceased as Came to Their hands and Possession, as of the Payments & Disbursements made out of the Same and Allowoth Viz

Imprimus The Said Accomptents Charge themselves with all and Singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said Deceased, Specified and Comprised in an Inventory of Goods and Exhibited into the Office for Probate of Wills amounting to the Sum of 126:06:08

And the said Accomptents humbly Crave Allowances for the Following Payments and Disbursements made out of the Same as folls, viz:

for Tobacco pd for a Coffin and Funeral Expenses 400
for Tobacco Paid Col. Hynson on Mr. Grahams Acct as
pr Acct proved & Rect 1905

for Money pd Jno Hawkins Junr one of the Apprs 60
for Tobbco pd Robt Wharton as pr acct proved and
Rect appears 208
For Tobbco pd Tho@ Parsons as per acct proved and
Rect appears 500
For Tobbco Pd Edwd. Hambleton as pr acct proved &
Rect appears 211
For TobcO pd the Honble County Genl for fees 840
for TobcO pd the said County for Do 150
For tobco pd do for drawing and posting this Acct 50
And they humbly Crave Allowance for the above
payments at 10 pr cent being 4324 lb Tobco 432
Which 4756 lbs of TobbcO at 4d per pd comes to 19:14:16
Remaining in the Accomptents hands to be Thereafter
accounted for, (as they humblv Pray time may be lO6:11:20
given them to Exhibit an Addl Acct) the Sum of

October the 24th 1711

"Then came the above named, William Sparks & Mary Trickey and made oath upon the Holy Evangelists that the above is a Just and true Account of their Administration on the said Estate So Farr as they have administered.
Before Me Robt Thomas DepY Comity"

[A note appears on the reverse of this document indicating that on October 10, 1712, this administration had been accepted in the Prerogative Office at Annapolis.]
"The inventory taken of the estate of William Sparks (died 1709) listed only his personal property, not his land. The tract of land which William Sparks called his "home plantation" in his will consisted of two adjoining tracts, one called "Hill' s Adventure" and the other called "Sparks Outlet." "Hill's Adventure " comprised 100 acres that Sparks had purchased from Michael Hackett in 1681, while "Sparks Outlet" comprised 114 acres, the patent for which sparks had purchased from Thomas Smithson in 1687. (See notes under William Sparks [and SQ 1382-83] for details).

"From the inventory of William Sparks's personal property, we know that there was a "new house" as well as an "old house," both containing beds and furniture belonging to William, on his "home plantation." George Sparks (born ca.1678), son of William and Mary Sparks, ma y well have been living in the "old house" at the time of his father' s death in 1709. (See the article on George Sparks under his notes and at SQ p.4035.)

"As shown in the transcription on SQ p.4033 of a probate record from the file on William Sparks's estate, we know that his creditors paid 400 pounds worth of tobacco for his "Coffin and Funerall Expenses. " From this same document, we know that tobacco was then valued at four pence per pound (weight). Since there were twelve pence in a shilling and twenty shillings in a pound (of money), these expenses wer e the equivalent of 6 pounds, 13 shillings, and 4 pence, or close to the value placed on four 4-year-old steers (7 pounds) listed on the inventory of William's personal property. The total cost of settling William Sparks's estate, including the payment of several debts, came to 4,756 pounds of tobacco, or the equivalent in money of 19 pounds, 14 shillings, and 16 pence.

"The most interesting new information provided in the probate papers for William Sparks is that within two years following William's death i n 1709, his widow, Mary, had remarried. No record had been found to reveal the exact date of this marriage, but the accounting of the expenditures in the settling of William Sparks's estate dated October 24, 1711, reveals that Mary's name was now "Mary Trickey." Further more, because a married woman in those days could not act in legal matters without the involvement of her husband, this document clearly reveals, also, that her new husband was Thomas Trickey. Thomas Tricke y had been one of the witnesses to William Sparks's will as well as to the executor's bond dated October 24, 1709. (His name was sometimes spelled Trickee as well as Tricky.) We can be quite certain that he was both a near neighbor and a personal friend of the Sparks family.

"We can speculate that Mary, wife and widow of William Sparks, had probably been born in the 1650s, since her oldest son, William Sparks, Jr., had been born ca.1674. He youngest son, Joseph, was not yet 21 years of age when his father made his will in 1709, placing his birth abound 1690. (See the article devoted Joseph Sparks in SQ of March, 1990, Whole NO. 149 , pp. 3554-3561.) It would appear that Mary Sparks was a woman past her child-bearing years when she was married to Thomas Trickey. It seems probable, also, that Thomas Trickey was a widower when he became Mary's second husband. He may have been the father of a Thomas Trickey of St. Luke's Parish who was married to Mary Harrington on February 10, 1736. We have found no record of Mary, widow of William Sparks, after 1711.

"Recently we engaged a professional genealogist living in Hampshire County, England, to conduct research there in an effort to prove the English origins of William Sparks (died 1709) and of his brother, John Sparks (died 1700). We hope that in a future issue of the QUARTERLY we can provide our readers with even more details regarding the life of William Sparks (died 1709), ancestor of so many Sparkses in America today."