Note H2637 Index
SQ p. 1500:
Michael Sparks (sometimes called Micha), daughter of John and Katharine (Waddell) Sparks, was born about 1795. Although this was a daughter with what is usually considered a man's name, it is interesting to speculate that she may have been named for the Michael Sparks who first paid taxes in Bourbon County in 1795. She was married to Benjamin Stokes in Bourbon County, Kentucky, in 1815 (marriage bond dated April 30, 1815). He died before 1825. They had the following children: (See family group sheet]
Note H2638 Index
SQ 3193: Michael Artemis Sparks was born on February 19, 1874. He
was married to Annie Viola Griffith in 1874 at Princeton, Missouri . She
had been born on April 30, 1878, at Big Spring, Texas, and was a daug hter
of Thomas Griffith. Michael and Annie had two children. Elmer E. Sp arks
and Alta Marie Sparks. Michael was a grandfather of Mrs. Claudette H and
who has helped with this article.
Note H2639 Index
Michelle Marie Sparks, the first grandchild of James J. and Ellen M. (Sherriffs) Sparks, was born in the El Camino Hospital, Mountain View, Santa Clara County, California on March 7, 1990 at 8:26 pm . She weighed 9 pounds and was 21 1/2 inches long.
She attended St. Andrews School in Saratoga, California, from which she graduated in 2004. She graduated from Archbishop Mitty High School in 2008 and is currently a sophmore at the University of Maryland. (2010)
Note H2640 Index
SQ 3193: Mildred Sparks was born probably about 1919. She lived at
Note H2641 Index
SQ p. 4571:
"Mildred ["Milly") Sparks, daughter of Nathan and Nancy (Hancock) Sparks, was born on May 10, 1817, in Wilson County, Tennessee. Years later, in talking about her childhood, she recalled that she was a young girl when the Indian chief, Black Hawk, was a guest of her father, Nathan Sparks, while he was the postmaster of Sparks, Tennessee. Black Hawk was making an exhibition tour and when he returned to his tribe, he reported that "there are as many palefaces as there are leaves on trees."
"Milly Sparks was married to Henry Edwards on October 14, 1835, in Wilson County, Tennessee, by John Bone, a justice of the peace. The license had been issued on October 12th, and "Little" Henry Edwards was the bondsman. Henry Edwards had been born on February 25, 1798, and he may have been married before. He was appointed as administrator of the estate of his father-in-law, Nathan Sparks, when Nathan's son, Jesse Hancock Sparks, resigned from that court appointment in 1845.
"Henry and Milly (Sparks) Edwards moved to Saline County, Illinois, where he died on May 14, 1856. Milly died there on September 30, 1873. They were buried in a country cemetery in Saline County. It is told that for many years the cemetery was cared for by their son, William Henry Edwards, who always spent the day of May 29th alone with them. They had eight children.
Note H2642 Index
SQ pg 3727: They have two children, Mildred and Mary Jane Holland sworth.
Note H2643 Index
SQ pg 3404: He worked in the firebrick plant at Olive Hill. They had five children.
Note H2644 Index
SQ p 3183: "Milley Sparks, daughter of Billie and Sallie (Jennings)
Sparks, was born on March 4, 1836, in Indiana. She died on Februar y 18, 1906.
She was married to Joseph Staley on May 2, 1866, in Boone County, Iow a."
Note H2645 Index
SQ pg 2785: By her first marriage (Slayden) she had five children:
Samuel, J. E., Jr., Hazel M., Eunice L., and Wilson A. She had no children by her second marriage.
Note H2646 Index
SQ 1702, 3230: Married Mabel Ruth 9 Feb 1740, at least four children.
SQ 3835 is a feature article on "Millington Sparks (ca.1715-ca1780 ) Son of John and Cornelia (Curtis) Sparks of Queen Annes County, Maryland":
"...Millington Sparks was a son of John and Cornelia (Curtis) Sparks and a
grandson of William and Mary Sparks. William had come from Hampshire County, England, to Maryland about 1663 and had settled in that por tion of Talbot County which became Queen Annes County. He died in Queen Annes County in 1709. His brother, named John Sparks, died there in 1700. Whether these brothers had come to Maryland together is not known. It seems probable that William named this son, who became the father of Millington, for his brother. Details of the lives of William Sparks (died 1709) and John Sparks (died 1700) were given in the March 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 73. Information regarding their probable place of birth in England appeared in the issue of December 1989, Whole No. 148, pp. 3485-86, and June 1991, Whole No. 154, pp. 3753-54.
"The first record that we have found of Millington Sparks is contained in the will of his father which was made on January 28, 1731. John Sparks, a plancer in Queen Annes County, acknowledged that he was quite sick and weak, and realizing that his hold on life was uncertain, he wanted to dispose of his two plantations, called "SPARKS INCLOSURE" and "SPARKS CHOICE," along with a 100-acre tract "lying in
His Lordships Manor." ("His Lordships Manor" refers to one of the large tracts of land, each called a manor, which the Second Lord Baltimore and first Proprietor of Maryland had set aside for himself and
his descendants; land in these "manors" was leased to farmers rather than being sold.) His entire acreage, including the 100 acres of leased land, consisted of 395 acres, and John Sparks directed that it be equally divided among his five living sons: George, John Jr., Millington, Absalom and Caleb. The bulk of his personal estate, however, was to be divided equally among his nine children. (His son, William Sparks, had died in 1731.) Named as his nine living children were George, John, Jr., Millington, Absalom, Caleb, Sarah, Mary, Rachel, and Cornelia. For the complete text of the will of John Sparks, see pages 1700 - 1701 of the December 1974 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 88 (whic h will is reproduced under the notes for John (416). (There follows on pps 3836-3844 details of the probate of the estate of Millington Sparks, including an inventory of his assets.)
(continue at page 3844:)
"Millington Sparks, son of John and Cornelia (Curtis) Sparks, was married to Mabel Ruth on February 9, 1740, in St. Lukes Church in Church Hill, MD. (1QA-46). We have learned very little about her. In all likelihood, she was a member of the Ruth family that settled near Ruthsburg in Queen Annes County. (Note that Millington's sister Mary Sparks, also married a Ruth.) The birth of the first child of Millington and Mabel (Ruth) Sparks (a daughter named Rachel) was recorded on page 45 of the Register of St. Lukes Parish. Their marriage was recorded on page 48. (The account of the establishment of St. Lukes Parish in 1728 was told in Whole No. 73, pgs 1389-1391 in the 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY)."
"On March 3, 1744, after the death of his brother, George Sparks , Millington had in his possession 1800 pounds of tobacco which belonged to the inventory of his brother's estate. He acknowledged the
obligation. When the final accounting was made of the estate of George Sparks on December 10, 1847, Millington was given a cow and a calf, owed to him by his brother and apparently from their father's estate. (Our readers are reminded that tobacco was used as a form of currency in Maryland during the colonial period. The tobacco iteslf was usually in a commerical warehouse and its transfer from one party to another was only on paper. Note the conversion of the value of tobacco to English currency on the previous page in the inventory of the estate of John Sparks. (See notes for John.)
"On November 13, 1744, Millington sparks (designated as a "Planter"), and his wife, Mabel, sold his share of Sparks Enclosure and all of Sparks Choice to his brother, Absalom Sparks, for 5,000 pounds of tobacco (probably equivalent to about 50 pounds in English currency ). He apparently retained some financial hold on Sparks Choice, however, for on July 4, 1752, he joined his brothers, Absalom Sparks, John Sparks, and Caleb Sparks, in disposing of that tract of land. The buyer was Edward Tilghman who paid 107 pounds for the property.
"Because owners of land in Colonial Maryland were required to pa y the Lord Proprietary an annual quit-rent (a form of tax), the extant "Debt Books" in which those quit-rents were recorded constitute an important source for genealogical research. Unfortunately, only a few survive for the middle 1700s, but those that do survive reveal that in 1747, 1754, 1756, and 1757, Millington Sparks paid quit-rent on three tracts of land. One was a 25-acre portion of Adventure . The other two tracts, each 25 acres in size, were parts of Sparks Own and Sparks Choice. Millington also made a payment as late as the fall of 1767 as a tenant of Queen Annes Manor. As has been noted , land that had been set aside by Lord Baltimore in his "manors" could only be leased, but the lease could be passed on to one's heirs. With the American Revolution, of course, the property rights of Lord Baltimore were swept away along with all other English land holdings in the United States.
"In the early days of the Maryland Colony, each county was responsible for maintaining a regular organization of militia whose function was to defend the county against hostile Indians and foreign enemies. In 1748, Millington Sparks was shown as a member of Captain William Hooper's Company. Other members included his brothers, Absalom, Caleb, and John.
"Absalom Sparks, brother of Millington Sparks, died in 1769, and an inventory was taken of his estate on January 21, 1772. Millington Sparks was one of the witnesses to the appraisal of the estate. Other witnesses were John Sparks, Caleb Sparks, and Levi Sparks. (For further details of the settlement of the estate of Absalom Sparks, see the December 1974 issue of the QUARTERLY, Whole No. 88., and the notes for Absalom Sparks.)
"There were nineteen Sparks families in Queen Annes County, Maryland, in 1776 when a special census was taken of the colony. Among these families was that of Millington Sparks. In addition to himself (he was described as a male over age 21), he had in his household, the following: 1 male over 21; 1 male aged 16 to 21; 2 females over 21 ; and 1 female aged 12 to 16. He owned no slaves.
"The last record we have found pertaining to Millington Sparks (whom we must now designate as "Senior" because he had a son also named Millington) is another special census taken of Maryland in 1778. There were now twenty-seven persons named Sparks who were shown as heads of households in Queen Annes County. Unfortunately, no other inf ormation was obtained of these persons other than the name of the "Hundred" in which they were listed. (A Hundred was a geographical subdivision of a county, used today only in the state of Delaware.) Millington was no designated officially as Senior since there was another Millington Sparks living nearby in the Town Hundred. Also listed on this census was John Sparks "of Millington," obviously a son of Millington Sparks, Senior.
"An index of property owners in Queen Annes County in 1783 gives one final piece of information about Millington Sparks, Senior. Among the twenty-eight persons named Sparks on this assessment schedule, three were directly related to him. One of these was Millington Sparks whom we believe to have been his son. The other two were obviously sons, also, since they were designated as such. One was John Sparks "of Millington"; the other was William Sparks "of Millington." All three were in the Upper District of Queen Annes County. (Census takers and tax collectors frequently identified young men having common forenames like John and William in this manner in order to distinguish them from others with the same names.)
"As shown above, Millington Sparks, Senior, did not appear on the 1783 tax assessment list of Queen Annes County, and in all probability, he had died before that list was made. If he had been born about 1715 (as we have judged), he was about 65 years old when he died, thus he was an elderly man according to the longevity standards of that time. We have found no clues to try to determine the time of death of his wife, Mabel (Ruth) Sparks.
"Millington and Mabel (Ruth) Sparks apparently had six children. "